The music curriculum combines individual and group work with work designed to appeal to a variety of learning styles.
This directly relates to our philosophy of enhancing the Montessori philosophy with other innovative methods. The music curriculum also offers significant opportunities to build community through our numerous performances, field trips, and assemblies.
Areas of Study (Lower School):
- Elements of music
Areas of Study (Upper School):
- Introduction of two-part rounds, harmony, memorization of longer form songs
- Recognition of notes on the staff and reading and writing note values
- Continued use of all rhythmic combinations and the use of polyrhythms
- Focus on performance and analysis of popular music
- Study of the role of music in students’ lives
- Examination of theater and film scores
- In addition, EMS introduces recorder to students in Lower Elementary and the option of percussion instruments (Orff Approach) in Upper Elementary.